[time-nuts] FE-5680A - Newbie capacitor question

Didier Juges shalimr9 at gmail.com
Sat May 2 11:57:03 UTC 2020

Tantalum capacitors are known to occasionally short for no good reason.
Give them a reason and they'll be happy to oblige.
Things that can damage a tantalum cap in a hurry include excessive voltage,
reverse polarity, overheating (likely with hand soldering) and current
spikes.
If it were me, and assuming it is at the input of  a linear regulator, I
would put a ceramic multilayer capacitor in its place.
It will likely be much smaller (requiring a short jumper to match the
solder pads of the larger tantalum) but a lot more reliable, and you are
less likely to damage it by hand soldering.
(some linear regulators are unstable with a large ceramic capacitor on the
output without proper damping, but there is typically no issue at the input)

Didier KO4BB