[time-nuts] FE-5680A - Newbie capacitor question

Chris Caudle chris at chriscaudle.org
Sat May 2 22:58:45 UTC 2020

On Sat, May 2, 2020 6:57 am, Didier Juges wrote:
> Tantalum capacitors are known to occasionally short for no good reason.

And traditional tantalum/manganese-dioxide devices can start a
self-sustaining combustion as the manganese dioxide breaks down.  I avoid
solid tantalum caps because I have actually had some combust.

> If it were me, and assuming it is at the input of  a linear regulator, I
> would put a ceramic multilayer capacitor in its place.

If you cannot find a ceramic that fits (although you probably can these
days) the tantalum polymer  do not have the same problem of combustion
that the pure tantalum capacitors do.
If you look for ceramic, avoid Y5V, it has large decreases in capacitance
with voltage and temperature. X5R or X7R are better, but double check the
change in capacitance with voltage.
You may also be able to find a surface mount polymer aluminum electrolytic
that is close enough to the same size that you can get it soldered on.
The polymer aluminum (should) have longer life than the traditional liquid
electrolyte aluminum electrolytic caps.

--
Chris Caudle