[time-nuts] FE-5680A - Newbie capacitor question

Dan Kemppainen dan at irtelemetrics.com
Mon May 4 16:43:12 UTC 2020

Hi,

Sorry, I had to jump in here. Ceramic capacitors are NOT less likely to
suffer damage hand soldering. They are very susceptible to damage hand
soldering. This is especially true if you are using the larger sizes
(1206 and up).

Placing the tip of a hot soldering iron against the end of ceramic
capacitor causes very high localized heating and temperature gradients.
This results high localized stress concentrations, which can result
internal damage to the capacitor. The result is a shored capacitor
immediately after soldering, or sometime later during operation.

It's best to read up on the datasheet for the particular cap you are
buying, but often times they state not to hand solder.

I'd highly recommend using a hot air reflow station, even the cheap $40
chinese ones. If you can't use hot air, be sure to only touch the solder
pad with the iron, and not the capacitor directly. Let the solder flow
the heat to the capacitor through the pad.

All the above said, the smaller sizes 0603 and 0402 don't seem to be
particularly vulnerable to soldering irons. Higher voltage capacitors
don't seem to be as vulnerable in the same size. And anything at or
above 1206 seem to be much more sensitive.

Also, minimize the solder between the cap and pad. Use the bare minimum
necessary. Using a large 'blob' of solder or large fillet allows the
board to transfer bending stresses to the cap, causing failure as well.

I do agree, once they're on a board they're much more robust than the
tants. But care needs to be taken getting them there.

Just my very hard earned two cents! :)

Dan