[time-nuts] Pre-averaging Phase Data

Anders Wallin anders.e.e.wallin at gmail.com
Tue May 5 05:28:27 UTC 2020

Hi Simon, you can play around with different averaging ideas with e.g.
allantools (or some other adev-library). The script for the attached image
is here: https://gist.github.com/aewallin/a10966ac50846e264ca3ee97f2e0d832
(the script also plots time-series, PSDs, and histograms, which might
illustrate things)

For an SDR-based phase-meter the key point is not that the individual
sampled I/Q measurements would be superbly good (at femtosecond level) but
that there are lots and lots of samples sampled quickly with some
reasonable noise.
If you just compute ADEV/MDEV from the raw high-bandwidth data it will
average down, but not as far as we want.
For white phase-noise downsampling (and reducing the bandwidth) by two
decades reduces the 1-sample ADEV by one decade.
The 'process gain' for an SDR thus comes from bandwidth-reduction by e.g.
6-decades and gives an ADEV-reduction of 3-decades. This is shown in the
image below where at tau=1s the raw simulated data is at 2e-12, and after
6-decades of downsampling we are at 2e-15.

In practice the challenge is to find an SDR that truly has white
phase-noise also at low (1Hz) offset from the carrier. Usually there is an
1/f shape towards zero frequency. The averaging trick stops working at some
point, and with the mentioned N210 radio we have not seen 1s ADEVs below
1e-14 (IIRC). The 2e-12/tau level for 1MS/s should be roughly right for an
N210 fed with two 10MHz signals (again, IIRC).

hope this helps,
Anders

[image: SDR_phasenoise_Figure_2.png]