[time-nuts] Pre-averaging Phase Data

Simon Lewis siaclewis at gmail.com
Tue May 5 10:23:44 UTC 2020

@Bob and @Poul-Henning Thanks for the input guys! This was my understanding
too, which was the confusion.

@Anders Wallin <anders.e.e.wallin at gmail.com> Thank you, this is exactly
what I was looking for. You're actually the one that introduced me to these
SDR measurements.
So in essence we are reducing the sampled bandwidth (similar to MDEV
without the LPF), under the assumption that the noise is predominantly
white below ~1s.
Based on the phase spectrum of the dual channel measurements in the paper,
the 1/f noise starts at about ~100Hz. Wouldn't the limit of averaging be up
to the flicker corner (~10ms averages)? Granted that the flicker noise is
quite low due to the common-mode channel cancellation.

Thanks again,
Simon