[time-nuts] Quick check of a GPS controller oscillator

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Wed May 6 12:21:40 UTC 2020

Hi

With any GPSDO (not just the TBolt) you can do some basic checks:
(They are in no particular order)

1) Are there > 6 sats in view at all times, if not, move the antenna
2) Is the unit locked to at least 4 sats at all times, if not, move the antenna.
3) Has the unit completed its survey process? If not, wait for it to complete.
4) Is the EFC > 10% and < 90% of it’s range after an hour on? If not, repair the unit.
5) Has the unit been on for at least 3 days? If not wait.
6) Does the output look ok on a ’scope? ( it’s volts not milivolts …) if not repair the unit
7) Does the unit show “locked” or something similar?
8) Is the EFC consistent ( = stable) and not wandering around? If not repair the unit.
9) Do the sat’s show SNR’s above 40 db? If not, replace the antenna / coax.
10) Does it read same / same /same compared to your counter’s internal timebase?
If not, check the counter / repair the GPSDO.
11) Does the reported ( survey ) location make sense on Google Maps? If not restart
the survey / repair the unit.

If the unit passes all those checks, it’s a really good bet that you can trust the output.
It likely is good to < 1 ppb, almost regardless of who made the device. Not every check
will be possible on every GPSDO. The checks assume you have a ’scope and a counter.
They also assume you can talk to the status port on the device. Some readings ( EFC
range, SNR, may take a bit of research to put into rational units ….).

======

If all of that sounds like a lot of work (or not complete enough), buy a second ( or third
or fourth ….) GPSDO. Next get a couple Rb’s …. maybe a Cs or three …. have you
looked into Masers?  :)

Bob