[time-nuts] Gravity, solid Earth tides

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Sat May 16 04:49:43 UTC 2020

Hi Hal,

Yes, both CERN, and especially LIGO, need to take the gravitational
effects of the moon and sun into account.

Also, some of the very best pendulum clocks ever made were good enough
that their timekeeping was affected by lunar/solar tides. One is the
English Shortt-Synchronome and another is the Russian Fedchenko.

The way you "detect tides" is if your pendulum clock is so incredibly
good at timekeeping that the only remaining error source(s) are random
earthquakes or periodic variations correlated to the relative positions
of the earth, moon, and sun. Sometimes you can see this in the phase
(time) or frequency (rate) time series. Another way is to observe
effects with stacking, FFT, PSD, or ADEV analysis.

It's a particular interest of mine. A couple of links for you:

http://leapsecond.com/pend/shortt/
http://leapsecond.com/pend/pdf/1985-Apr-NAWCC-Boucheron-Shortt.pdf
http://leapsecond.com/pend/pdf/1986-Mar-AH-Boucheron-Shortt.pdf
http://leapsecond.com/hsn2006/