[time-nuts] Gravity, solid Earth tides

Steve Allen sla at ucolick.org
Sat May 16 05:02:32 UTC 2020

On Fri 2020-05-15T21:49:43-0700 Tom Van Baak hath writ:
> Also, some of the very best pendulum clocks ever made were good enough that
> their timekeeping was affected by lunar/solar tides. One is the English
> Shortt-Synchronome and another is the Russian Fedchenko.

Those are not measuring solid earth tides per se.  They are measuring
the failure of the earth to deform as much as, and in phase with, the
changing potential, so the local acceleration of gravity changes.

I have not found any papers which say that two distant chronometers
have yet been tied together with a stable enough optical network
to measure the changing difference in their potentials.

--
Steve Allen                    <sla at ucolick.org>              WGS-84 (GPS)
UCO/Lick Observatory--ISB 260  Natural Sciences II, Room 165  Lat  +36.99855