[time-nuts] Free courses from the National Physical Laboratory (NPL)

Dr. David Kirkby drkirkby at kirkbymicrowave.co.uk
Mon May 18 09:39:10 UTC 2020

NPL do a number of courses. Some are available online, some only in a
class. The online ones can cost up to £700 (GBP). However, these are free
until the end of June

https://www.npl.co.uk/skills-learning/free-e-learning

For anyone interested in metrology, there are a lot of relevant courses.
Some are at quite an advanced level.

For the vast majority of the courses there’s an exam at the end with a 50%
passmark. I don’t think the certificates will of any use to me, but it
added a challenge.

I completed the “Introduction to Measurement and Metrology” course. I
erroneously believed that the course was supposed to be 1-day, but there
seemed to be a lot for a 1-day course. Later I realised it was supposed to
be 0.5 days! I guess I am just a slow learner.

The bit that took my largest amount of time to commit to memory was the
roles of the BIPM, CGPM, CIPM, NMI, RMOs etc in disseminating the SI
units.  I must have watched the video on that ten times before I was
confident I had a reasonably good understanding of that.

The 40 minutes for the exam was more than enough time.

Dave.

--
Dr. David Kirkby,
Kirkby Microwave Ltd,
drkirkby at kirkbymicrowave.co.uk
https://www.kirkbymicrowave.co.uk/
Telephone 01621-680100./ +44 1621 680100

Registered in England & Wales, company number 08914892.
Registered office:
Stokes Hall Lodge, Burnham Rd, Althorne, Chelmsford, Essex, CM3 6DT, United
Kingdom