[time-nuts] WWVB D-PSK-R version 2

paul swed paulswedb at gmail.com
Sun May 31 01:18:05 UTC 2020

Hello fellow time nuts.
Here is a updated version of the WWVB de-psk-er. The original was released
back in 2015. Several interesting things have happened since then. WWVB
introduced the slowcode at 10 and 40 minutes..
As such during those periods the d-psk-r did not work as it was only
sending the fastcode.
Interestingly another time-nut found the old code and became interested.
Thats Rodger. He was connected to me by yet another time-nut Bill out of
NJ.
Rodger set to work figuring out the magic in the slowcode and in short
order figured out its secret. All good. Well of course not the project
wouldn't have taken months to get it all right. Things like different GPS
receivers had an effect. Mixing the codes did things but we both finally
did work our way through it spending a lot of time watching phase flips
that shouldn't have happened when they did.
Really good collaboration one of the hallmarks of good time-nuttery.
So here is a updated pdf that describes the details and the Arduino code.
In the pdf there is a chart that shows typical WWVB phase stability through
something like 10 hours. The charts actually go on for days. There is a
small jump mid way through the chart and thats cycle slip. It seemed there
is old documentation that mentions this. (1968)
Its great to see charts run for hours and days and to confirm the TBolt and
3801 are stable. Never really questioned that.
Definitely improved the phase flipper, Use PWM for marking the charts,
built a whole new 1 rack unit low noise 11 output wwvb d-psk-r. Now all of
the clocks, phase receivers can run at the same time.
Its been a great project with Rodger. Enjoy.
Regards
Paul
WB8TSL