[time-nuts] TAPR TICC and TADD-2 Minis

Frank O'Donnell time at inkbox.net
Sun May 31 23:02:17 UTC 2020

Hi all, recently I bought a TAPR TICC as a learning project, and also
bought two TADD-2 Minis to serve as sine-to-square converters for the
two inputs. Since the TADD-2 Minis will be dedicated for this purpose, I
simplified their assembly by just installing a jumper from pin 2 to 3 of
the IC socket position, installed the BNC input and output connectors,
and +12vdc power wiring. (I.e. I omitted the PIC chip, its socket and
the other headers.)

As a test, I sent the 10 MHz out from my Trimble Thunderbolt through one
TADD-2 Mini and to a Siglent digital scope. A screen shot from the scope
is attached.

I have two questions at this point:

1) Does this look like a decent waveform for TICC purposes? I verified
in advance with the scope that the Thunderbolt is putting out a clean
sine wave.

2) For this test, I just used 50-ohm coax between the Thunderbolt and
the TADD-2 Mini, and between the latter and the scope. I see the TADD-2
Mini instructions suggest avoiding a 50-ohm load, instead terminating
into a TTL or high-impedance load. Is there a recommendation for the
best cabling to use to connect the TADD-2 Minis to the TICC?

Thanks for any advice,

Frank