[time-nuts] GN-GGB0710 GNSS Antenna

Ben Hall kd5byb at gmail.com
Sun Feb 24 19:40:30 UTC 2019

Good evening all,

After almost a month in transit, my GN-GGB0710 GNSS antenna arrived from
the auction site "we all know and love."  ;)

Unit was not tapped to a proper 5/8"-11 TPI thread.  A standard 5/8-11
bolt went in maybe two full threads.  I modified an old tap I had in the
drawer into a 5/8"-11 bottom tap and cleaned it up.  Best I can tell,
the thread cut by the manufacturer was slightly tapered.

I wasn't thrilled with the seal around the edge.  Because it's flat,
some water might wick in, so I ran a quick bead of seal around both the
top and bottom end of the blue rubber seal.

Unit seems to work well.  It's not mounted to the top of my antenna
pole, about 16 feet up from the ground, where it can see a pretty much
unobstructed view of the sky.  All the GPS units on it thru the splitter
are getting excellent signal.

Now to wait until uBlox releases the ZED-F9T dev board.  I did get a
response back from uBlox sales to my work e-mail address (which is a
very large organization) saying it's still in development with a target
release date of May or so...

thanks much and 73,
ben