[time-nuts] FA2

shouldbe q931 shouldbeq931 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 3 07:52:46 UTC 2019

On Thu, Oct 3, 2019 at 12:07 AM Didier Juges <shalimr9 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Raspberry Pi has no display, no keyboard.

Yes, the Pi does not have a display or a keyboard, but it does have  USB,
GPIO, Bluetooth WiFi and Ethernet, and separate power.

> If you add those, you far exceed
> the cost of a 7" tablet

Does a device for logging data need a display or a keyboard ?

> and you still have a pile of stuff that barely fits
> in a shoe box let alone in a decent looking enclosure

Without the screen and keyboard you get a _much_ smaller device.

> and that you would
> not want to leave on a table unattended.
> A cheap Android tablet is hard to beat if you need a display and keyboard
> and having played quite a bit with both, my RPis are still all in the same
> box where they came in while a number of Android tablets are used
> throughout the house as remote controls for a number of things.
> The most recent is a$49 7" Fire tablet to use also as a controller. Nice
> piece of hardware for the cost.

As something to control other things, an Android tablet (or phone with
WiFi) is very good, I also have several, but for datalogging (temperature,
humidity, ADS-B etc), or for providing network access to a device that has
serial or USB management interfaces, I use an rPi without screen or
keyboard, all bar one have have never had a screen or keyboard connected to
them.

People have a tendancy to pick up tablets, when a single USB (mini/micro/C)
cable is used for data collection as well as power, I would be concerned
that the cable might be unplugged, with something like a rPi, there is no
requirement to move the rPi, but one could certainly use a tablet to access
the data that has been logged.

Different horses for different courses (-:

> Writing Android apps using a tool like B4A is a lot of fun, with a Visual
> Studio like environment.
>
> Of course, if you need a lot of discrete IOs, the RPi is very handy.
>
> Didier KO4BB
>
> On Wed, Oct 2, 2019, 12:00 PM shouldbe q931 <shouldbeq931 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Oct 2, 2019 at 4:00 PM ew via time-nuts <
> time-nuts at lists.febo.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Good Morning DidierThank you for your response. The "ONLY" thing we
> would
> > > like to do is record and display the info coming out of the RS post. To
> > day
> > > making long term observations ties up a PC or Laptop with fans and a
> > > HP53132. Gone for a week the main concern is fan failure. Store the
> info
> > on
> > > the Tablet in a SD chip or in it and when ready download through the
> USB
> > > port that we use for importing data to a memory stick for further
> > processing
> > >
> > <snipped for brevity>
> >
> > Rather than a tablet, might I be so bold as suggesting using a fanless
> PC,
> > such as a RaspberryPi (other small fanless computers are available).
>
> Cheers

Arne