[time-nuts] WWVB PM Time Questions

rodger_adams at yahoo.com rodger_adams at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 19 12:48:15 UTC 2020

Ray,

I'll answer your question as I've done this.  The d-psk-r's intended use is
to remove the bpsk from the WWVB carrier for the purpose of allowing older
WWVB receivers to recover phase info from the carrier and it works very well
for that purpose.  But, it can also be used, as you are trying to do, to
generate "something similar" to the WWVB BPSK signal by feeding it 60 khz
and letting the mixer do the phase modulation.  I've done it, and it works.
But there would certainly be some differences between that signal and the
"real" WWVB BPSK.  For one, the real WWVB signal has phase coherence between
the 60 khz and the timing of the phase flips.  You won't get that with the
d-psk-r as it's not necessary for it's intended purpose.  Obviously WWVB
also has the AM component too so that would be missing if using the d-psk-r
to modulate a carrier.

But depending on your intended use, I see no reason that using the d-psk-r
as a "re-psk-r"  shouldn't work just fine.

If you're putting a sine wave in to the mixer on pin 8, you should be seeing
a sine wave out on pin 1.  It's as simple as that.  And that sine wave
should shift 180 degrees (invert polarity) if you flip the polarity of the
bias on pins 10 and 15.  If you don't have any DC bias on pins 10/15 I'm not
sure how much signal would pass through the transformers though I don't
think it would be much as neither pair of diodes would be conducting.

Good luck,

Rodger