[time-nuts] Ublox 8T - breakout board

Matthias Welwarsky time-nuts at welwarsky.de
Wed Dec 30 16:56:37 UTC 2020

Quick heads-up for everyone who might have ordered the breakout board based on
design files I uploaded to github before Dec. 28th.

As Peter Bell found out, the voltage divider that provides VDD_USB to the LEA
module is not adequate, the impedance is way too high and since the current
drawn by the VDD_USB pin is quite variable, there is little chance to
dimension it correctly. However, it might still be possible to salvage the
boards. I suggested, and Peter verified it, that replacing R7 with a red LED
(0603 footprint), oriented such that the cathode connects to VDD_USB, will
provide an adequate supply to the pin and might even double as an USB
indicator light.

I've updated the files on github on Dec. 28th and added a 3.3V LDO regulator
instead of the resistor divider. This is the solution recommended in the
hardware integration manual for the LEA-M8.

My own boards still haven't arrived.

BR,
Matthias