[time-nuts] Trigger circuit for TIC

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Wed Jun 3 12:57:58 UTC 2020

Hi

(wandering a long way away from the original post …..)

When you design a DMTD that runs into a counter, by far the biggest
part of the DMTD design is the limiter(s) that turn the mixer output into
a “useable” square wave. Even high end commercial counters are unable
to process the output of a DMTD directly.

On the flip side, the counter “needs” of a DMTD generally are not all that
tight. The “best of the best” approach will still likely have a noise floor in
the 10’s of ns on that square wave output.

Some math:

If I go from 10 MHz to a beat note below 10 Hz, I “amplify” the error by
at least 1x10^6.

If I put that signal into a counter with a 1 us resolution (no not a typo, a
1 MHz time base …. welcome to the 1950’s :) ) I get a LSD at 1x10^-6
per second.

I now can do 1x10^-12 at 1 second ADEV (barely, but that seems to be
the criteria used by a lot of people).

Since this is no longer the 1950’s, clock rates on the counter higher than
1 MHz *are* possible. A $3  MCU can provide a 32 bit counter with
an internal clock above 200 MHz.  Yes it’s got a wacky PLL and there is
some noise, your signal has noise …..

That puts the MCU (if it works ….) at roughly the price of the two TDC’s
that a DMTD would need. Since the MCU also provides computing and
com horsepower it (if it works …) is pretty much the slam dunk answer
for that end of the chain.

======

One wrinkle you will run into with any mixer based DMTD is the “one
supply or two?” question. With one supply, you will need to have a
virtual ground throughout everything. That might push you to a 6 layer
board. With a bipolar supply setup, you have a point where you need
to get back to single supply for your 7200 or MCU.

Toss in “only use parts that are in stock at the contract house” and it
gets a bit crazy.

Lots of fun !!!

Bob