[time-nuts] ThunderBolt question

Wes wes at triconet.org
Sat Jun 6 18:33:10 UTC 2020

Dana,

I have about 45 feet of RG6 into a two-way splitter, currently feeding two
receivers, a BG7TBL GPSDO (U-blox) and a TAPR/Synergy GPS Timing Kit (M12+).  So
each device has about 7 dB loss in front of it.  As a crude test if I add a
stepped attenuator in the line to the TAPR receiver and look at the dBc report
in LH, a 10 dB step is hardly noticed, but a 20 dB step makes a noticeable
change.  I still see tracking at 30 dB but at 40, gone.

So there is a lot of margin but I don't see any issues and the plan is to go to
a four-way split and add a couple of devices.  I'm in a rural area outside of
Tucson so hopefully Ligado won't be an issue. We'll have to see if their
technical expertise is as good as the PR and lobby lawyers are.

Wes