[time-nuts] Frequency division by 81

Dana Whitlow k8yumdoober at gmail.com
Thu Jun 18 21:04:00 UTC 2020

I've read that the so-called regenerative frequency divider has
exceptionally low
phase noise.  You could cascade four of them, each dividing by 3.  It's not
the
simplest thing in the world, but might yield really good phase noise
performance.
Back when I worked at TEK on the 2710 (low-cost SA) project, late 1980's,
one
of the engineers used one of these to divide a signal of around 2 GHz by 2;
these
were the days when IC dividers that would work that fast were either
unobtainium or
unaffordable.

See:
http://www.ke5fx.com/regen/1208.pdf
and note the reference to the IEEE paper.

Dana