[time-nuts] Quantum Time Dilation

Bill Byrom time at radio.sent.com
Sat Oct 24 01:10:49 UTC 2020

A reasonably simple description of this paper was released by Scientific American today:

Quantum Time Twist Offers a Way to Create Schrödinger’s Clock
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/quantum-time-twist-offers-a-way-to-create-schroedingers-clock/

The Schrödinger’s Cat thought experiment imagined placing an object in a quantum superposition of two states (cat is alive / cat is dead). The object exists in a superposition of those two states until it is "observed" or measured. This can be thought of as a repudiation of something we assume to be part of our reality -- counterfactual definiteness.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Counterfactual_definiteness

You can also imagine putting an object into a superposition of two proper times.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proper_time
The main topic of the Nature article is placing a clock into into a superposition of different velocities, which results in a superposition of the different time dilations due to special relativity. This would result in a non-classical result when measuring the clock (atom or ion) in an experiment.
--
Bill Byrom N5BB