[time-nuts] Oscilloquartz BVA has been sold. Thank you all who expressed an interest.

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.se
Fri Sep 25 14:16:08 UTC 2020

Hi,

On 2020-09-24 23:47, Tom Van Baak wrote:
> > Next time I power down mine is to integrate a new supply and back-up
>
> May I recommend PowerPole connectors and frequent use of diode-OR. For
> details see:
>
> http://leapsecond.com/pages/powerpole/diode-or.htm
>
> I got the inspiration when my Dad was in the hospital and I saw how
> they did IV tubes with multiple injection points. It seemed so simple,
> clever, reliable. Details [1] and graphic photo [2].
>
> So now I use diode-OR "Y" connectors on all my long-term standards. It
> allows me to replace either power supply live without interruption at
> any time. Come to think of it, they call it an IV in the hospital. And
> here in my lab the I is about 0.18 and V is 24 so my IV is 4 watts. ;-)

That's how we do it in Telecom, but on the 48V level. I managed to drive
my company into do it with 48V all the way to the various boards,
because that way the protection switching out there handled multiple
faults. Also, for some reason there is this line of DCDC converters from
48V to about anything. We kept doing that since, even if the diodes now
been replaced with MOSFETs to lower losses.

If you look into say the 5065A that's how it's done there too.

As for power-pole, those are great connectors, but I need to keep 12V,
24V and 48V in the lab, so I need to get the different color codes not
to interchange them. You usually react when you see a yellow-black
trying to mate with a red-black. So, I recommend folks to do the same.
Once one got started with the Anderson PowerPole, it becomes more and
more a solution.

But yeah, thanks for reminding me that I need to progress on the
power-pole and power supply projects. I'll do that after the PiDP-11
project.

Cheers,
Magnus