[time-nuts] Oscilloquartz BVA has been sold. Thank you all who expressed an interest.

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Sat Sep 26 06:07:37 UTC 2020

--------
Bill Notfaded writes:

> Can't I just use a high quality APC backup power system like we use to
> power racks of gear in our Telco and compute closets?

Very few UPS's are good at long-run applications, they are typically
built to run a heavy load for minutes, not a tiny load for hours
or even days on end.

That means low efficiency, 75% net efficiency is considered good,
and it goes totally south the further you are from the name-plate load,
because the constant overhead is large.

Some UPSs dont even have a thermal design allowing 24*365 operation.

If you want to power mains kit from batteries, it is usually better
to get a "real" inverter which is built island-grid applications.

But for powering small loads, OCXO's, GPSDO's, Rb's, fire alarms,
emergency lighting etc, the overhead of going from battery voltage
to mains voltage and back is just a unnecessary loss.