[time-nuts] backup power (was BVA has been sold)

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Sat Sep 26 15:52:03 UTC 2020

On 9/25/20 11:07 PM, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> --------
> Bill Notfaded writes:
>

>> Can't I just use a high quality APC backup power system like we use to
>> power racks of gear in our Telco and compute closets?
>
> Very few UPS's are good at long-run applications, they are typically
> built to run a heavy load for minutes, not a tiny load for hours
> or even days on end.

> That means low efficiency, 75% net efficiency is considered good,
> and it goes totally south the further you are from the name-plate load,
> because the constant overhead is large.
>
> Some UPSs dont even have a thermal design allowing 24*365 operation.

As people have found when modifying those inexpensive $100 UPSes to use
an external battery.  They're *cost sensitive* so the electronics just
gets to maximum temperature as the designed in battery runs out.  It
might be cheaper to add mass than a (noisy) fan, for instance.

> If you want to power mains kit from batteries, it is usually better
> to get a "real" inverter which is built island-grid applications.

They do make UPSes for long term running but not as a static inverter -
typically you can identify them because they come with options for
external batteries. Or,you choose which battery pack to add.

> But for powering small loads, OCXO's, GPSDO's, Rb's, fire alarms,
> emergency lighting etc, the overhead of going from battery voltage
> to mains voltage and back is just a unnecessary loss.

There is, also, the Tesla PowerWall approach..
13.5 kWh, 7kW peak, 5 kW avg, $6500

You can keep a lot of oscillators humming for quite a while with 13.5
kWh, even at reduced efficiency.