[time-nuts] Oscilloquartz BVA has been sold. Thank you all who expressed an interest.

ew ewkehren at aol.com
Sat Sep 26 10:30:13 UTC 2020

Victron Energy has a nice application book on their web site the have super products, I used them on my 64 foot GOFAST. Besides products they also discuss battery technologies and applications. My hard copy is 15 years old. Here is the link in English          https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Book-Energy-Unlimited-EN.pdf                                       Bert Kehren     In a message dated 9/25/2020 9:02:32 PM Eastern Standard Time, phk at phk.freebsd.dk writes:
--------
Bob kb8tq writes:

> Two basic types of SLA / VRLA batteries out there: AGM and Gel. For the AGM
> variety, you want a bit more to your charger.

Yes, if you buy batteries for N * 100K $money, spending more money
on your charger is a good investment.

But if you have two batteries doing float-charge/long-run/tiny-load,
in a benign environment in a corner of your lab, the internal
variance between batteries in that same production lot, will
overshadow any imaginable benefit a fancy charger could bring.

>I haven't worked with Gel cells in a while so they may indeed be easier.

They are for the same reasons they suffer cyclic use better.

But for a float/long-run application, it makes absolutely no difference.

--
Poul-Henning Kamp      | UNIX since Zilog Zeus 3.20
phk at FreeBSD.ORG        | TCP/IP since RFC 956