[time-nuts] Re: Query about List and about 10 MHz Distro

Charles Steinmetz csteinmetz at yandex.com
Sun Aug 29 15:32:28 UTC 2021

Robert wrote:

> What about double shielded RG-223, or Thinnet ethernet cable?
> Most Thinnet has both a braided shield and a foil wrap.

IME, thinnet cable is notoriously leaky.  I have also not had success
with double-shielded cables such as RG-223.

Unless you go all the way to hardline (some of which can be bent to some
degree for installation), there is not much you can do with shielded
coax.  No amount of braided and/or foil shielding will really do the job
effectively.  A braid-and-foil shield (or double-braid + foil) over a
twisted pair is better, but in practice (for our purposes) not usually
enough (again, IME).

Properly specified and installed *triaxial* cables can get you there,
but understand that you would need to change the connectors on your
instruments to gain the full benefit.  Also understand that proper
installation of triax cables and connectors is not trivial.

Best regards,

Charles