[time-nuts] Re: Thunderbolts ...

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Sun Jul 25 13:04:52 UTC 2021

Hi

Most good DAC’s show you information on temperature / supply / and reference
stability (along with a bunch of other stuff like noise …). You are paying for those
parameters when you buy a “good” DAC.

The TBolt has a “home brew” DAC and (maybe) feedback setup. For whatever reason
(one would guess cost) they did it all themselves in a FPGA rather than running
a “stock” chip. You can trace out portions of the setup. Once it goes back into
the FPGA …. who knows. Some sort of Sigma Delta Something Somewhere is
probably a good guess.

Bottom line is, you can’t just go to the label on this or that chip and grab the
data sheet for “the DAC”.  I don’t even recall anybody finding “the reference
IC” for “the DAC”. They may well have and I’ve simply forgotten over the last 10
or 15 years ...

What you *could* do is to rig up a Volt Nuts grade bench, set the DAC to various
voltages and run the beast over temperature. Somehow that sounds like a lot
of work. Unless you have a “group” it would only tell you part of the story ….

Bob