[time-nuts] Re: Trimble GSPDO - ISSUE

Dana Whitlow k8yumdoober at gmail.com
Wed Jul 28 12:23:46 UTC 2021

Most general purpose passive splitters for the L-band regime are
essentially variations
on the Watkinson splitter, which provides good isolation between the output
ports, if
(and only if) the input port is driven from a matched source.

So if your GPS antenna, whether active or passive, has a good output match
then
the Samsung's input impedance will not affect operation of the Trimble.
But, again,
this is true only if the antenna's output impedance is matched to the
splitter's
characteristic impedance (including consideration of any impedance
transformation
in the transmission line between the antenna and the splitter).

I cringe at the cavalier treatment given to line impedances used in GPS
systems.
AFAIK, all GPS equipment is designed for 50 ohms, yet a great deal of such
equipment is provided with 'F' connectors, which invite the use of
inexpensive RG-6
line, which is 75 ohm cable.  In addition to problems with impedances and
It's a built-in source of multipath, all at no extra charge!

Dana   K8YUM