[time-nuts] Ryzen mobos with serial port for Garmin GPS?

Rich Wales richw at richw.org
Fri Nov 5 05:36:29 UTC 2021

Looking to design my next Linux (Ubuntu) system, built around a Ryzen
processor.

In previous systems, I've had great success using a Garmin GPS 18x unit
(small hockey puck with a wire tail) hooked up to a DB9 serial (COM)
port on the motherboard, to provide a local (stratum-0) time reference
via gpsd and chronyd.  However, mobos with a serial port are becoming
harder to find.

(Yes, I know that PCI serial port cards exist -- however, these are not
suitable for connecting a GPS time reference because the PPS signal
timing is unpredictable -- so I've limited myself to using motherboards
with a builtin serial port.)

What Ryzen (Socket AM4) motherboards have worked out well for people who
want to do what I'm proposing?

Alternatively, can anyone recommend a better hardware solution than a
Garmin GPS attached via a serial port?

Thanks for any suggestions.

*Rich Wales*
richw at richw.org