[time-nuts] Re: Ryzen mobos with serial port for Garmin GPS?

Darren Freeman darren at freemaninstruments.com
Fri Nov 5 06:10:53 UTC 2021

On Thu, 2021-11-04 at 22:36 -0700, Rich Wales wrote:
> However, mobos with a serial port are becoming harder to find.

That's not really been my experience, they just moved it to a header.
You will need to supply a DE9 to ribbon cable, say on a bracket, or
installed in a cutout elsewhere in the case.

This is the first one that I checked, and it has such a port labelled
COMA, along the left/bottom edge.
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B450-AORUS-M-rev-1x/sp#sp

Also note that the Linux PPS driver supports the standard PC parallel
port, which you can usually find as a header. If you are having
performance issues with one, try the other. (But you may need to supply
negative-going edges to the parallel port.)

Have fun,
Darren