[time-nuts] Re: Ryzen mobos with serial port for Garmin GPS?

Alec Teal alec at unifiedmathematics.com
Fri Nov 5 08:33:20 UTC 2021

Sorry I've replied to this message but I didn't include some knowledge
thinking it was implicit:

No PC has had a true serial port for years. Probably decades. For a very
long time "this stuff" (ISA slots, which are basically a bus for a
really old processor - that guy I mentioned in the other message knows
more and I'm happy to ferry questions if you like) has been done by
"superIO" chips and suchlike. It's not been a direct interface to the
processor probably for a good 20 years.

Any "serial ports" you have will be over PCI anyway (which may or may
not be PCIe - this doesn't really matter) - you'll want to make sure
it's not behind a bridge though.

It's worth remembering that crap being pushed out of the cache will
cause significant variance, this is well known in ethernet circles as
getting something to deal with 10gbit/sec ethernet is non-trivial. There
are things like DMA'ing right to the cache.

So RE: the serial port - that ship has sailed, but I'd be curious to see
a USB and a PCIe one compared for example.

Alec