[time-nuts] Re: Assessing performance of a frequency counter

John Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Mon Nov 8 17:39:15 UTC 2021

Hi Erik --

Unfortunately, your attachment did not make it through the list.  That
sometimes happens when you put images "in line" or as HTML content.
Best thing is to send them as a "real" attachment.

Your question breaks into two pieces: (1) what's the resolution or noise
floor of the counter, and (2) how good is its internal oscillator?  I'm
not sure which piece you are most interested in.

1.  To characterize the counter itself, the easiest test is to feed the
same signal into both the counter timebase and its input (e.g., if
there's a "10 MHz Out" on the rear panel, connect that to the input).
That will show you what the counter is capable of -- what's its
resolution, how stable is the gating, etc.

2.  To characterize the internal oscillator, there are two things to
consider:

(a) is your reference oscillator stability/accuracy better than the
counter's over the ADEV "tau" range you're considering?  Ideally you'd
like to *know* that the reference is at least 10x more stable than the
device under test. Otherwise you may find yourself measuring the
reference rather then the DUT.

(b) what's the resolution of your measurement system (see point 1)?  For
short measurement periods, the counter is likely to be the limiting
factor because it has a fixed resolution and internal jitter that impact
short measurements more than long ones.  If you think about it in the
time domain, a "perfect" time interval counter with 2ns resolution will
have a measurement floor of 2e-9 at 1 second (2ns / 1 second). At 10
seconds, it's 2e-10 (2ns / 10 seconds), and this slope continues until
you hit some ultimate noise floor.   In the frequency domain, the number
of digits per second implies the same thing.  Most test-bench counters
probably have a resolution of around 1e-8 to 1e-9 in 1 second.  Some of
the best are in the 11s, but to get better than that at 1 second
averaging you are getting into esoteric gear.

Based on all that, ADEV measurements of two good oscillators are
probably going to be counter noise limited at tau (measurement interval)
of less than 100 seconds.  Your 0.1 and 0.05 seconds measurements are
almost certainly limited by the resolution of the counter.

I've ignored some subtleties and gotcha's in the above, but hopefully it
gives you an idea of how to take and interpret measurements.

John
----