[time-nuts] Re: Assessing performance of a frequency counter

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Mon Nov 8 18:36:23 UTC 2021

Hi

To add a few more “gotcha’s” to the list:

1) A fast slew rate square wave will usually do better than a sine wave with the same peak amplitude.
In some cases the difference will be several orders of magnitude. There is a YouTube video from
Keysight showing this on the 532xx counters.

2) There is at least one counter that delivers absolutely amazing numbers when the input is hooked to
its internal reference. There is no other way to get that sort of performance. Does this apply to anything
other than a SR620? Who knows ….

3) Any OCXO “improves” as it warms up. If you are looking at an internal reference OCXO, leave it on
power for a couple weeks before running the test. Are weeks always required? It depends a lot on the
OCXO design and how long it’s been power off.

4) The confidence interval for ADEV improves with the number of samples. Anything much under 100
samples is going to hop around a bit if you look at today vs a bit later today.

Yes, this could go on and on …..

Bob