[time-nuts] Re: Potting compound advice needed

Lux, Jim jim at luxfamily.com
Thu Nov 11 00:32:14 UTC 2021

On 11/10/21 2:40 PM, Richard (Rick) Karlquist wrote:
> I am looking for help choosing a potting compound that
> has the following properties:
>
> 1.  Good for 5,000VAC @ 1 MHz
> 2.  Low RF losses.
> 3.  Low permittivity is preferred
> 4.  Low tempco of permittivity is a want.
> 5.  Something I can implement in my home shop
> without access to a vacuum pump etc. is a want.

What about curing? Is temperature cure (put it in an oven) ok? or do you
need room temp cure?

Silicones are usually pretty good, RF wise. But you need to check the
filler and exact composition.

I found a two component silicone that has epsilon 2.5 used for RF
potting, 15kV/mm breakdown.

https://vitrochem.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/Two-Component-Condensation-Silicone.pdf

they say nothing about the dissipation.

Aha.  RTV12 from Momentive - clear - epsilon 3.0, tan d (at 1kHz) is
0.001, 400 V/mil - This stuff is pretty common, but I can't find any
higher frequency permittivity info, which is odd. Someone somewhere
probably built something and measured it.

Diallyl Pthalate is what they use in connectors - it's a thermosetting
resin with good electrical properties.

https://www.cosmicplastics.com/products/dap/

Picking the first one in the list 224 DAP - 360 V/mil, so for your 5kV,
you'd need ~14 mils. (most plastics are in this range)

Epsilon is kind of high 3.5, tan D is 0.01?  Is that good enough for you
dissipation wise?  There's lots of kinds with various fillers.

A common way to reduce epsilon and tan d is to mix in microspheres.

Some epoxies are also good.  Rogers not only makes laminates for
circuitboards they also produce the epoxy from which they are made

We use tons of arathane and solithane at JPL (both are urethanes), but I
don't know if we pot RF circuits in araldite. Huntsman makes the
"ara???" materials

https://huntsman-pimcore.equisolve-dev.com/Documents/US_2019_High_Performance_Components_Selector_Guide.pdf

one thing is that we store this stuff at -80C, but I don't know if
that's after mixing or if it's shipped that way (in dry ice).

masterbond.com  -> give them a call or email

EP110F80-1 is a 2 part epoxy with e=2.69 at 1MHz, so it's probably
reasonably low loss.