[time-nuts] Re: Can ADEV of a frequency source be correctly determined using a continuous time-stamping frequency counter?

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.se
Thu Nov 11 15:51:08 UTC 2021

Hi,

I strongly recommend the HP AN200 series of application notes. Having
those alongside Enricos slides is a good start for those new in the field.

There is one variant of averaging which is used in the HP5328A/B
counters that is described there that is not covered in Enrico Rubiolas
otherwise excellent set of slides.

A more updated version exist in the Rohde, Rubiola, Whitaker "Microwave
and Wireless Syntesizers" book. The PDEV was not published in 2012, but
came in 2014. PDEV is now included in the IEEE 1139 draft, going through
the voting process.

Many modern counters have used the method of charging a capactor and
then read that charge out either as a pulse (Nutt interpolator) or
through A/D conversion such as SR-620, Pendulum/Fluke CNT-80/81/90/91
and Wavecrest DTS and SIAs. Modern FPGA based tapped delay was used
already in HP5371A but is now used in FPGA and ASIC for higher
resolution and is for sure comming along strong in commercial and
academic counters.

Cheers,
Magnus