[time-nuts] Re: Potting compound advice needed

djl djl at montana.com
Fri Nov 12 00:00:35 UTC 2021

I've used, wait for it, beeswax as a potting compound. Gouda cheese
comes coated with it (some has paraffin, get the best,) in a lovely red.
I also found out some years ago that Catholic churches use pure beeswax
for large (not votive) candles and may give you the stubs. Nice, clean
white.  Or, dear ol' Amazon has a huge assortment for around $1.00 / oz,
in various stages of "purification". For expensive beeswax with some
unknown sticky additives, use toilet mounting rings... (good also for
preserving dry milsurp gunstocks, according to Anvil.)
73, Don

On 2021-11-11 15:00, Gregory Beat via time-nuts wrote:
> Rick -
>
> Look at 3M Scotch-Weld Epoxy Potting Compound DP270.
> https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/d/b40066438/
> I purchase from McMaster-Carr (Midwest pickup window is 2 miles from
> house).
>
> This is what I have used, since it is rated for -65° to 350° F and
> safe with copper (potting electronics, transformers, etc.)
>
> ***
> Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2021 14:40:53 -0800
> From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard at karlquist.com>
> Subject: [time-nuts] Potting compound advice needed
> To: time and frequency measurement <time-nuts at lists.febo.com>T
> I am looking for help choosing a potting compound that
> has the following properties:
>
> 1.  Good for 5,000VAC @ 1 MHz
> 2.  Low RF losses.
> 3.  Low permittivity is preferred
> 4.  Low tempco of permittivity is a want.
> 5.  Something I can implement in my home shop without access to a
> vacuum pump etc. is a want.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Rick Karlquist N6RK

The whole world is a straight man.