[time-nuts] Re: HP 5065A, no 2nd harmonic.

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Fri Nov 19 13:47:55 UTC 2021

Hi

Well backing up a bit, why does a 5065 have a second harmonic?

Very quickly:

The stuff in the physics package creates an absorption notch. You
interrogate this notch with a phase modulated locally generated microwave
signal. When the signal is at the right frequency it dumps photons and
you get a signal in the photo diode. That signal has the (audio) second
harmonic in it when you are doing everything just right.

Yes, there’s a lot of hand waving in there, but that’s the really fast version.

Since a lot of “stuff” is involved, there are a number of ways to loose the
second harmonic.

Bob