[time-nuts] Re: HP 5065A, no 2nd harmonic.

Germán Herrera g.herrera at ses.com.ar
Fri Nov 19 14:11:13 UTC 2021

Hi there

I don't have much experience with the HP5065A, but one I did this very
same issue on my Efratom FRK-L. Turns out the thermistor controlling the
resonator cavity temperature was broken and the cavity temperature was
off. This caused loss of resonance lock, and by definition, loss of the
2nd harmonic.

Reaffirming what Bob says, there a number of other factors that might
cause the issue.

Cheers,
German

---
Germán Herrera
Responsable IT
Ingeniería
SES Sistemas Electrónicos S.A.| Espinosa 1045 (C1405AMM) | Buenos Aires
W: +54 11 54538426 | Email: g.herrera at ses.com.ar

On 2021-11-19 10:47, Bob kb8tq wrote:
> Hi
>
> Well backing up a bit, why does a 5065 have a second harmonic?
>
> Very quickly:
>
> The stuff in the physics package creates an absorption notch. You
> interrogate this notch with a phase modulated locally generated
> microwave
> signal. When the signal is at the right frequency it dumps photons and
> you get a signal in the photo diode. That signal has the (audio) second
> harmonic in it when you are doing everything just right.
>
> Yes, there’s a lot of hand waving in there, but that’s the really fast
> version.
>
> Since a lot of “stuff” is involved, there are a number of ways to loose
> the
> second harmonic.
>
> Bob
>
>> On Nov 18, 2021, at 7:48 PM, Jared Cabot via time-nuts
>> <time-nuts at lists.febo.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>> Your help is appreciated. We can keep this on-list for now I guess, on
>> the chance it helps someone in the future.
>>
>> Jared.

>>> Paul