[time-nuts] Re: List Opinion/Suggestion(s)

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Tue Nov 23 13:26:42 UTC 2021

Hi

I would strongly suggest that with NTP “more is better”. Three reference devices
is about the minimum. Five is a good target to aim for. Each approach to a device
has its weak points (cost may be one of them). In a “get what you pay for” world,
having a couple of “real” commercial boxes in the mix is a good idea.

If you have a symmetric delay on your connection to the internet ( delay up and
delay down are the same) then indeed net based devices can do quite well. It’s a
rare basement lab that has this sort of connection. Indeed, I know of a number of
companies that have asymmetric connections to the web.

As with anything “how good do you need?” gets into this. Since this is Time Nuts,
that can go off the deep end pretty fast. If tens of ms are fine, there are lots of
answers. Many of them are cheap. If sub milisecond performance is the goal,
the range of answers is a lot smaller. For sub microsecond, things do get a bit
crazy.

Even for sub 1 us sort of stuff, the output of a simple GPS module may well be
fine. Give it an antenna with a good sky view so it does not drop out. Get a timing
grade device (or one of the better nav grade parts). Spend your time on writing a
driver that accepts the sawtooth message rather than on other crazy stuff. Since
you are after time rather than frequency, this approach likely is better than a GPSDO.

Fun !!!

Bob