[time-nuts] Re: List Opinion/Suggestion(s)

Eric Scace eric at scace.org
Tue Nov 23 14:56:59 UTC 2021

Hello all —

   I am working on several broadcast radio projects that require a local PTP server at multiple locations. The purpose of PTP in this context is to timestamp audio and related control data. The timestamps ensure proper reassembly at distant locations after transfer over public/private internets.

   The precision and stability requirements are just beyond the reach of NTP.

   Of course, once installed, such a server becomes the on-premises reference for other uses, including frequency reference for transmitters and transmitter monitoring.

   I’m considering the Time Machines TM2500C <https://timemachinescorp.com/product/gps-ntpptp-network-time-server-10mz-output-tm2500/>. At $750 it seems an economical solution — economical enough to install pairs as primary and secondary in critical locations.

   If you’ve any experience with the performance of these units, I’d appreciate hearing about it.

   Thanks.

— Eric