[time-nuts] Re: Project Great

Lux, Jim jim at luxfamily.com
Sun Nov 28 00:26:47 UTC 2021

On 11/27/21 3:20 PM, Magnus Danielson via time-nuts wrote:
> Hi,
>
> There is an overemphasis on the atom being used, and especially on
> cesium as that is what is used for SI definition. However, actual
> implementation means actual physical devices, and the physical devices
> have a physics package, for which details will be important to the
> actual performance. Various atoms have been more or less well adapted
> to different types of physical package types. The beam type of device
> can be made to have very little perturbation, and cesium was well
> suited for that, while rubidium ended up being very well suited for
> the gas cell type. The CSAC is really a cesium based gas cell, but the
> original benefit of rubidium filtered optical pumping has been
> replaced with semiconductor lasers for pumping. Today both cesium and
> rubidium gas cells with the same mechanism exists. With gas cell you
> get wall shift from atoms banging around the wall, but also gas shift
> as buffer gas makes the atoms hit the buffer gas most of the times.
> With a bit of selection of gas mixture, these can be made to balance
> each other.
>
> So, what is the claim to fame for CSAC? It's actually not being
> cesium, but for the stability it provides for the small amount of
> power it consumes. That's also where it finds actual applications. If
> you can afford more power, there is cheaper alternatives available.

Not only is the CSAC low power (~ 100 mW) it's physically small, which
is attractive for some applications (inside a cubesat, for instance).
It used to be price competitive with a Rb, too ($1000-1500, as I recall)
but now they're about $5k.  Microsemi also has the NAC (which is more a
conventional Rb, but small)

Parameter    NAC1        CSAC
Aging        3E-10/mo    9E-10
         1E-9/yr        10E-9

ADEV        2E-11 @ 100sec    2.5E-11
         8E-11 @ 10    8E-11
         2E-10 @ 1 sec    2.5E-10

phase noise
         -86 @ 10    -70
         -120 @ 100    -113
         -138 @ 1000    -128
         -143 @ 10k    -135
         -148 @ 100k    -140
         -150    floor

max chg        1E-9 (-20 to 65) 5E-10  (-10 to 35)

pwr        1.2W op        0.12
         1.8W warm    0.14