[time-nuts] Re: Project Great

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.se
Sun Nov 28 00:52:15 UTC 2021

Hi Jim,

Den 2021-11-28 kl. 01:26, skrev Lux, Jim:

> Not only is the CSAC low power (~ 100 mW) it's physically small, which
> is attractive for some applications (inside a cubesat, for instance).
> It used to be price competitive with a Rb, too ($1000-1500, as I
> recall) but now they're about $5k.  Microsemi also has the NAC (which
> is more a conventional Rb, but small)
>

> Parameter    NAC1        CSAC
> Aging        3E-10/mo    9E-10
>         1E-9/yr        10E-9
>
> ADEV        2E-11 @ 100sec    2.5E-11
>         8E-11 @ 10    8E-11
>         2E-10 @ 1 sec    2.5E-10
>
> phase noise
>         -86 @ 10    -70
>         -120 @ 100    -113
>         -138 @ 1000    -128
>         -143 @ 10k    -135
>         -148 @ 100k    -140
>         -150    floor
>
> max chg        1E-9 (-20 to 65) 5E-10  (-10 to 35)
>
> pwr        1.2W op        0.12
>         1.8W warm    0.14
A good comparison.

In addition, for some application weight of the CSAC is also very
attractive.

I'm not to say that CSAC is bad, but rather that one has to understand
that it is a product intended for certain uses, and for those contexts
it is a very interesting option, but outside of those contexts, there
may simply be better suited options. It being "cesium" is not the magic
keyword thought.

Cheers,
Magnus