[time-nuts] Re: Microsemi Phase Noise Measurement Sets

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Sun Nov 28 03:41:08 UTC 2021

Hi

When I last bought 3120A’s they sold for about $15K. The 53100A was in the same range
before it moved over to Microsemi. One would *guess* the price went up.

The 5120A is (essentially) obsolete at this point. Microsemi shows it in the “not recommended”
category. I believe the last one we bought was up around $30K. That was a very long
time ago. I could easily be off on that price.

At least to me, the “big deal” with the 3120 and 53100 is on the time domain side. There are
other (even more expensive) phase noise boxes that are more capable. The 3120 has a very
limited input frequency range. The 53100 is significantly better, but still not into the GHz like
some other devices.

Bob