[time-nuts] Re: Project Great

Hal Murray halmurray at sonic.net
Sun Nov 28 07:13:57 UTC 2021

jim at luxfamily.com said:
> There's a variety of roads that go to ~12,000 ft in Colorado, about  ~10,000
> in CA (Tioga Pass isn't closed yet), so you can get about 3x  change, but
> still you're talking <1E-12.

If you want height above a base station, Colorado starts high.  Pikes Peak is
probably the best.  Other's farther west have a higher base.

Pikes Peak is 14,115
Colorado Springs is at 6,035

-------

The University of California runs the White Mountain Research Station.
  https://wmrc.edu/
The White Mountains are east of the Sierra, in the rain shadow.
They are setup for things like this.
I don't know how much they charge.

Barcroft Station is at 12,470
  https://wmrc.edu/barcroft-station/
I think you can drive there in a normal car.

Crooked Creek Station is at 10,150
  https://wmrc.edu/crooked-creek-station/

Summit Hut is at 14,242
  https://wmrc.edu/summit-hut/
Minimal facilities.  Need 4wd to get there.

For a base, Lone Pine is at 3,727

----------

Tioga Pass is at 9,943
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tioga_Pass
The border with Yosemite Park is right at the pass.
There is a small parking lot with outhouses.
You might be able to get permission to overnight there for something like this.
If not, you could park along the road just outside the park.
Lee Vining is at 6,781.

Sonora Pass is at 9,624, a bit lower than Tioga.
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonora_Pass
There is a USFS picnic area at the pass.
No overnight parking -- unless you are going for an overnight hike.
Probably not enforced.
You might be able to get permission to overnight there.
Bridgeport is at 6463

Mt Hamilton is at 4,265
It's on the eastern skyline above Silicon Valley.

University of California runs Lick Observatory up there.
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lick_Observatory
They are setup to support astronomers.
You might talk your way in.

Base is sealevel.

---------

10K feet is high enough that you have to pay attention to acclimatization.
Effects kick in about 8K.  You probably won't get sick until 10K and then only
if you run around.  A night at 8K or 10K is helpful if you are going higher.
There is lots of variatin between individuals.

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.