[time-nuts] Re: Project Great

Lux, Jim jim at luxfamily.com
Sun Nov 28 22:05:42 UTC 2021

On 11/28/21 1:06 PM, Marek Doršic wrote:
> Hi,
>
>      I'm also one of those fascinated by Project Great and this was The project inspired me to start with time related stuf.
>
> Can Cs clock be avoided by prolonged period at high altitudes? Assume you can spend a month at the summit. Is e.g. the Rb drift stable enought to compensate and obtain viable results?
>
>    .marek

Sadly, no...  That's what the Allan Deviation tells you.  It says
"here's the best you can do, at this averaging time".  And a lot of
sources may have a low flat spot in the curve, but it eventually trends
up. Except for primary standards like Cs beam.

So if a Rb plateaus at, say, 1E-12, that's the best you're going to do.

Speaking of which, does anyone have a link to a "current state of the
art" graph.

Kind of like this one from Vig, but with specific new technologies like
CSAC etc