[time-nuts] Re: Lowest noise (phase noise and ADEV) method to achieve 10 MHz signal from 5 MHz input

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Mon Nov 29 14:34:50 UTC 2021

Hi

The PLL will have the same 20 log N issue plus a number of other
problems. The big question is: what are you after?

If you need something below -175 dbc / Hz far removed, what is
the application? There may well be better ways to do this or that.

If you are after -125 dbc / Hz at 1 Hz, that’s a very different need and
the approach to getting it would be significantly different.

Simple answer is that most equipment is not all that sensitive to phase
noise and that distribution amps have a noise floor. You can go nuts
getting a super quiet reference and it will have no real impact outside
a few very specific applications. ( which likely will need custom “plumbing”).

Bob