[time-nuts] Re: HP 5065A, no 2nd harmonic.

Jared Cabot jaredcabot at protonmail.com
Tue Nov 30 17:34:50 UTC 2021

I was reading in a past thread on the time-nuts mailing list that the thermal fuses can occasionally spontaneously go open circuit with age, far more often than going open due to a real thermal fault.
(I wonder how many have been discarded over the years due to this issue?)
They appear to be constructed from two spring contacts held closed by wax. As the fuse heats up, the wax melts allowing the contacts to permanently open.
It would appear that age can cause the contacts to open too... A common fix is a wire jumper (The fuse is conveniently socketed, so a resistor leg offcut makes a nice jumper).

I plan to source a replacement thermal fuse, just to keep things a bit safer.

Also, I did get the pictures, thanks for that! I replied directly just now.

Jared.