[time-nuts] Re: NOS Citizen Satellite Wave watch is excess to my needs

James Perkins james at loowit.net
Mon Sep 13 22:53:12 UTC 2021

I've owned two of the Casio Waveceptor watches and they are rugged and
reasonably priced. I like a less cluttered face with no printed numbers on
the analog clock face, a single rectangular LCD for the advanced functions,
and a metal link band. The higher end Lineage line can provide titanium
case and band for light weight and sapphire crystal for a ~250 USD, or the
basic waveceptors with base metal or plastic case, stainless steel and
regular glass crystal start, as you say, around 40 USD. Since politicians
decide parameters of summer time, my model is old enough to support DST but
not the new days, so I have to manually move it from DST on to DST off. It
does support 24 time zones.

I had a Citizen aviator watch but it was too heavy and busy to be practical
for my wishes, and it disappeared at some point, I can't recall if it was
stolen or misplaced in a move. I still have my Casios, though!

With the proliferation of mobile phones, it does seem wrist and pocket
timepieces are becoming a thing of the past (unless you mean a smartwatch
or fitness tracker, oh I do wear one of those as well). My father has an
extensive collection of railroad pocket watches, and my granddad did clock
repair as a side business to maintaining time deposit safe clockworks, and
here I am writing a ESP-32 FreeRTOS application to use SNTP and weighted
linear regression smoothing with outlier rejection to design a smart home
wall clock (so it can handle the DST changes for me throughout the house),
so the interest in time runs in my family.

Cheers,
James

On Mon, Sep 13, 2021 at 3:25 PM Mike Monett <zak at teksavvy.com> wrote:

> I don't know if this post will work, but there is a simpler and cheaper way
> to put time on your wrist.
>
> A Casio Waveceptor Atomic Watch receives WWVB time from Fort Collins and
> Rugby, England each night. It switches to and from DST automatically and is
> generally accurate to within 1/10 second. The battery is specified to last
> for 2 years, but both of my watches have gone much longer.
>
> The Waveceptor watches are available at
> https://www.casio.com/products/watches/wave-ceptor
> starting at USD$39.95
>
> Waveceptor Manual
> https://support.casio.com/storage/en/manual/pdf/EN/009/qw3054.pdf
>
> WWVB Coverage Area
> https://tf.nist.gov/stations/wwvbcoverage.htm
>
> Fort Collins, Colorado 60 KHz time signal
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WWVB
>
> Rugby, England 60 KHz time signal
> "https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_from_NPL_(MSF)"
>
> JJY in Japan also transmits on 60 KHz with a similar format to WWVB, but I
> don't know if the Waveceptor will receive it. It is not in the Waveceptor
> City Code.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JJY
>
> There are 683 posts that refer to WWVB in the time-nuts archives. You can
> read them here:
>
> "https://www.mail-archive.com/search?q=wwvb&l=time-nuts%40lists.febo.com"
>
> Mike

James Perkins <james at loowit.net>  KN1X  www.loowit.net/~james
2030 W 28th Ave, Eugene OR 97405       +1.971.344.3969 mobile
Alternate email: <opalmirror at gmail.com>