[time-nuts] Re: Custom Quartz crystals

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Wed Aug 17 16:17:52 UTC 2022

Hi

One “interesting” way to look at this is a “delta F” test.
It’s based on a system that (essentially) always measures
things at series. You put the (maybe) 20 pf  load cap in series
with the crystal and zip off it goes to measure the net result
of the crystal at a 20 pf load.

Typically you did this by pushing a paddle on a fixture. Yes
that’s very specific to one rig up. Turns out that Motorola
decided it was a fun thing and we tested a *lot* of crystals
that way. It’s been “a while” … but .. fundamental crystals
came in at > 400 ppm. Third overtones might be around
30 ppm. Fifth overtones might be around 3 to 5 ppm.

No this isn’t for the same crystal or even the same crystal
package. It also isn’t for SC cuts, these all where AT’s.

… and yes, if I could remember the name if the UK outfit
that made the test heads, I’d give them credit for their cute
little gizmo.

One interesting outcome of testing this way was to spec
crystals as some number of PPM off series rather than
with a load. Changing the load cap in the fixture was “not
done”.  AFIK that was very specific to internal Motorola
documents. The only time I saw it used elsewhere was
on crystals that operated below series.

Bob