[time-nuts] RCB-F9T Adapter PCB with USB and 50 Ohm Timepulse SMA Connectors

Carsten Andrich carsten.andrich at tu-ilmenau.de
Sun Aug 21 16:49:23 UTC 2022

Hi,

I've designed an adapter board for u-blox' RCB-F9T breakout board for
the ZED-F9T timing GNSS receiver. Primary design goal was to improve
upon the RCB-F9T's interface situation (only 2.0 mm 2x4 pin header for
UART and time pulse outputs). My adapter PCB's interfaces are micro USB
(connected to the ZED-F9T UART via a SiLabs CP2102 USB-to-UART bridge)
and two SMA connectors with 50 Ohm source impedance capable of driving a
50 Ohm load (via a TI BUF602 buffer opamp).

Since quite a few of us seem to be using the RCB-F9T, I wanted to put my
adapter PCB up for review before I have it manufactured. While I will
not take orders for the board, anyone interested could order it from a
fab house of their choice. Therefore, I'm interested in minor changes
that could make it usable for more of us. I'll release the design files
(KiCad) and gerbers once I've verified the design is functional.

I've attached schematic, layout, and two 3D renderings. The latter
hopefully illustrate how the RCB-F9T neatly plugs on top of the adapter
board. The adapter PCB is the same width as the RCB-F9T and ~16 mm
longer to accommodate the SMA side-mount connectors.

Best regards,
Carsten