[time-nuts] Re: Looking For An Antenna

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Tue Feb 1 02:59:53 UTC 2022

Hi Chris,

Sorry, a 468 MHz GOES antenna won't help. That satellite timing service
ended 15+ years ago, another victim to the global success of GPS. So
antenna or not, the receiver has no signal to lock on to. That's why the
receivers are so cheap these days. There may be old postings in the time
nuts archives about all this. There are legacy web pages too. If nothing
else, here is a nice read [1]:

"The GOES Time Code Service, 1974–2004: A Retrospective"
https://tf.nist.gov/general/pdf/2013.pdf

What many people have done is convert the cute 1U Kinemetrics boxes into
DIY clocks. The ones with Sperry 7-segment Panaplex gas plasma displays
have a very nice look and are worth something. An Arduino or equivalent
could probably be used to hack the main board and get the display to
work. Kinemetrics manuals are available for free on several test
equipment manual archive sites.

/tvb

[1] Alternate locations:

https://tf.nist.gov/general/pdf/2013.pdf