[time-nuts] Re: Timestamping counter techniques : phase computation question

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Tue Feb 1 13:50:31 UTC 2022

Hi

The main point about “added hardware” is that this *is* how a counter
gets from the numbers I mentioned to performance that is better than
that. It’s not done by running some magic math that somehow improves
a basic sampling counter by a couple orders of magnitude.

Since that hardware is off topic, I suspect that’s as far as this needs to go.

The dead band issue can come from a variety of interactions. There pretty
much is *always* going to be some harmonic of the signal that hits some
harmonic of the clock. The best you can do is hope that both are high enough
that the interaction is not a big deal.

Bob